Friday, July 31, 2009

Realizations

We've had a rough few weeks.... living in the "lows" is a reminder of Psalm 23 "though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For thou are with me. Thy rod and staff protect me."

How do people live without faith? I find myself saying that often but what I realize is that I really mean "How do people live without a faith in Jesus Christ? A relationship with HIM?" I have found that many people think they have faith..... they have faith in goodness, their job, their family, their church, their friends, etc... However, those things can all fade away. Our economy has made it clear that jobs and money are fading; families all around me are breaking apart and parents are divorcing; churches are splitting or being led by arrogance; watch the news and it seems goodness is slipping; and friends come and go.

It is these realizations and tough times and changes that remind me to hold fast to my Savior who promises to "never leave or forsake me." I have been guilty of putting my faith in Keith. What the last few weeks has taught me (through Keith telling me) is that He can't possibly bear all of my burdens all of the time. I can't expect him to carry that load and he shouldn't have to. It's unfair to him and it's not in line with God's word. His word says "Cast all your cares on ME because I care about you." WOW....why then do I rely on man? Don't get me wrong...Keith has been wonderful to be my rock for 10 years. However, I think one reason for the valley we've been in for about 2 years is to teach me valuable moral lessons. Here are some I've learned. 1. Money doesn't bring happiness. Living in the moment and above what we can afford only brings pain later (when the bill comes :)) 2. Be careful who you call friend. No matter how strong I am, I can be brought down by ungodly friendships. 3. When God calls you to do something, He will give you the strength to carry it to completion. 4. I need to be an intentional parent. I can't expect the church to teach my children about Jesus. 5. Finally, I must rely on my Savior in every aspect of my life. He should be my rock. He should be my comfort. Certainly I need to be close with my friends and husband but ultimately God wants me to be in love with Him first!

Gosh, I didn't realize all had I have learned in the past 2 years until I typed it (LOL).

I'm not sure what the future hold for The Carlton family. I'm not sure when this seemingly forever valley will end and begin climbing to the mountaintop. What I am sure of is this: "All things work for the good TO THOSE WHO LOVE GOD." God is in charge of my life. I don't know why we've had to endure all we have but there is a reason and there are always lessons to be learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment