Monday, August 3, 2009

Our dearest Grann and Grampy....








I would say that I have always been close to my parents. As a child I was most definitely a home body and still consider myself that way. I've never liked being far away fom mom and dad (I only live 2 miles from them now) and can't see myself ever moving more than an hour or so from them.



Now that I'm a parent, our relationship has changed from one of parent/child to friendship. They are always there for Keith and I. We seek their advice on many things....lately parenting. They remind me that Grace is just like me; not only in the way she looks but also in her actions. They remind me that "this too shall pass" only to bring about some other conflict to deal with. Lately I'm hearing "you think this is hard...just wait a few years."



Since their wreck a year ago we've seen even more of them; especially daddy (as he's not been able to return to work). This is one of those weeks when I've had to enlist his help with the kiddos. Today he watched them from 2:30 until 6:30. During those two hours, he played hair studio (where they did his hair...this was my idea--he use to LOVE Leslie and I to play with his hair. He would fall asleep in the recliner and wake up to crazy designs), they colored, read him books, played hide n seek, etc... He even had them bathed and had them cleaning their rooms when I got home; thanks daddy--doesn't get much better than that!



Mom has been able to return to work so she spoils the kiddos in other ways. Grace commented to someone the other day "Yeah, my Grann spoils me....she buys all my clothes!" You know, this really is true. Grace's back to school wardrobe has pretty much been completely bought by Grann. Let me say though...Grann is the queen of smart shopping! She taught me early on about sales.....you give her $100 and she'll make it spread farther than you thought possible (a lesson that I've appreciated as a mother of two girls on one income)!



My children are so lucky to be close to their Grann and Grampy. Not because of the free babysitting or the things they buy, but because of the love they give and get. Mom and dad, thanks for all you do. We are blessed by you and love you more than you will ever know!





1 comment: